Please note: the following information is a short compilation from the most important German-speaking Trade Media.
Short Overview – German-speaking Markets
- Since December 15 Germany is in Lockdown. Outbound travel is still possible and allowed.
- The Lockdown is supposed to last until January 10th
- During Christmas some measures will be lifted
- Vaccinations in Germany will start on December 27, first in elderly homes and hospitals.
Short Overview situation in Germany
⇒ After the COVID-19 numbers are increasing in the last weeks some new measures and rules have been implemented.
- travel to risk areas and countries should be avoided
- cinemas, theatres, opera houses are closed
- events are not permitted
- club and group sports are prohibited, gyms are closed (individual sport is allowed)
- restaurants and bars are closed
- retails stores are closed except stores for the daily usage
- there is a ban on accommodation within Germany
- Schools are closed
Current relevant topics within the tourism industry
- German government plans changes of rules for travelers returning from risk areas: The mandatory 10-day-quarantine will be replaced by either a negative PCR test, a proof of vaccination or a proof of immunity that needs to be submitted within 72 hours upon return to Germany (Reise vor 9)
- Specialist Tour operator East Asia tours declares insolvency (fvw)
- State of Bavaria reintroduces mandatory tests for travel returnees: Travelers returning from risk areas need to submit a negative PCR test when entering the state. The test can also be taken abroad, not earlier than 48 hours before entering Germany (fvw)
- DER Touristik lets 250 employees go: Germany’s second biggest tour operator faces severe restructuring (TRVL Counter)
Current relevant topics within the aviation industry
- Suspension of flights to and from the UK: many countries, among them Germany, suspended all flights to and from the Southern UK and prohibited entry for Brits due to the new mutation of the Coronavirus (fvw)
- Lufthansa: successful pilot project with rapid tests: rapid testing has been tested on flights between Hamburg and Munich, the airline is happy with the results and plans to roll out rapid tests globally in 2021 (Touristik Aktuell)
Current relevant studys
- German travelers are unsure about vaccinations: as per a research by the insurance company ERGO, 36% of the Germans plan to get the vaccination. Another 12% is willing to change their opinion in order to be able to enter certain countries with mandatory vaccinations. (Touristik Aktuell)