UPDATE COVID-19, May 5
Please note: the following information is a short compilation from the most important German-speaking Trade Media.
Short Overview situation in Germany
- Since December 15 Germany is in Lockdown
- The Lockdown is now extended until end of June. Corona emergency brake takes effect from incidence of 100 in a region with further measures.
- Vaccinations in Germany started on December 27. There are 5 priority groups, currently group 3 is getting vaccinated. In May the vaccination order should be resolved. 28,7% of the population has received at least one dose of vaccination.
- Travelers arriving by plane to Germany need to provide a negative PCR-Test
- The government has agreed on a general “emergency brake” that comes into effect if the 7-day-incidence rises above 100 per 100.000 inhabitants
- If the incidence is lower there are opening possibilities based on a testing system
- Germans who have received 2 doses of vaccine will be treated equal to Germans with a negative test – mandatory tests for entering the country, shopping and other services do not apply to them anymore
Current relevant topics within the tourism industry
- Tourism Summit of G20 member states. (FVW, https://www.fvw.de/touristik/destination/virtuelle-konferenz-g-20-laender-beraten-ueber-tourismus-neustart-218260 During a virtual summit the member states of G20 discuss possibilities how to bring back tourism to a normal level again
- Vaccination instead of tests and quarantine for travelers (FVW https://www.fvw.de/counter/verkauf/gesundheitsminister-spahn-impfnachweis-statt-corona-test-bei-reisen-nach-deutschland-218254) German citizens who have received 2 doses of vaccine do not have to take a test nor to quarantine upon returning to Germany from a risk region
- German tourism commissioner Bareiß shows optimism for summer holidays (FVW, https://www.fvw.de/touristik/veranstalter/reisen-in-europa-bareiss-ist-optimistisch-fuer-sommerurlaub-218220) The politician considers traveling with precaution to be realistic in summer due to the vaccination progress and a testing strategy
- DER Touristik faces severe losses in 2020 (TRVL Counter, https://trvlcounter.de/news/9213-der-touristik-mit-hohen-einbussen-in-2020/) The tour operator’s revenue has dropped from 5 to 1,3 billion Euro.
- Tour operators are expecting travel boom (FVW, https://www.fvw.de/touristik/veranstalter/eu-corona-pass-fuer-juni-angekuendigt-veranstalter-erwarten-einen-reise-boom-218285?utm_source=%2Fmeta%2Fnewsletter%2Ffvwammorgen&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nl3230&utm_term=d6a49325c50203368db4ee58c95c0df0) The digital EU wide Corona vaccination green pass is supposed to come in the middle of June. Most federal states in Germany plan an untightening of the restrictions for tourism by end of May or early June. All 3 main German tour operators, TUI, FTI and DER Touristik indicate a growth in bookings due to the recent developments, the raise in vaccinations in Germany and the drop in new infections.
Current consumer surveys
· Skscanner Survey shows change in booking behavior (FVW, https://www.fvw.de/touristik/verkehr/skyscanner-umfrage-die-jagd-auf-billigtickets-ist-erstmal-vorbei-218213) Instead of cheap tickets, travelers are mainly looking for comfortable planes and flights with as few stops as possible