Please note: the following information is a short compilation from the most important German-speaking Trade Media.
Short Overview – German-speaking Markets
The COVID-19 quarantine measures are being further untightened in all German states. All federal states are responsible for their own implementation. They have also released the strict regulations towards (however always observing the sanitary and distancing recommendations):
· Opening of cinemas, theatres, opera houses
· Permission of events (depending on state for up to 500 people) with social distancing rules
· Permission of contact sports inside as well as outside
· Opening of indoor playgrounds, houses in zoological gardens, escape rooms
· Some states (f.ex. Mecklenburg Pomerania) are skipping the contact limits
· Schools are supposed to go back to “normal” after the summer holidays however some states already introduced the compulsory use of masks
Current relevant topics within the tourism industry
- DRV criticizes extension of worldwide travel warning (TRVL Counter)
- The German government has extended the travel warning for 160 countries outside Europe by two weeks until September 14
- Dertour-Plus trips can be rebooked free of charge (TRVL Counter)
- The tourism brings a new package tour program for the coming winter season for Dertour plus on the market. The offers are free of charge umbuchenbar without indication of reasons until 14 days before departure, either on a later date or on another route plus package tour.
- TUI Cruises cooperates with Helios Kliniken (TRVL Counter)
- From September onwards, every passenger who takes a trip on board the Mein Schiff fleet must present a negative Covid 19 test before boarding the ship. For this purpose, TUI Cruises is cooperating with the Helios Clinics. In future, guests will be able to have themselves tested at one of the 86 Helios locations before departure. The costs for this are included in the price of the cruise. If the test is negative, the guest will not be notified separately, but the clinic will determine whether the guest is fit to travel and automatically transmit this information to TUI Cruises.
- STA Travel is insolvent (TRVL Counter)
- Following the Swiss parent company and several European sister companies, the Corona pandemic is now also affecting STA Travel Germany.
- TUI plans to close up to 60 travel agency branches (TRVL Counter)
- Schauinsland launches “FairSicherung” (TRVL Counter)
- Like other tour operators, Schauinsland-Reisen also offers customers Corona insurance. The “Schauinsland-FairSicherung” includes the assumption of additional accommodation costs in the destination area in the event of quarantine for up to 14 days, unless this is guaranteed by other agencies.
- Already twice as many bankruptcies of small organizers as 2019 (Reise vor 9)
- Still many help themselves with short time work and bridging assistance, but in the first half-year it already came to a doubling of the insolvencies of small tour operators, knows the R+V insurance. And the large wave is still expected.
- Germany loses 38 billion due to missing guests (Reise vor 9)
- The World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) estimates the consequences of the absence of foreign visitors in the course of the Corona pandemic for the current year on this sum in euros. According to this estimate, spending by foreign visitors could fall by 82 percent compared to the previous year.
Current relevant topics within the aviation industry
- American Airlines wants to cut up to 19,000 jobs because of the corona crisis (TRVL Counter)
- Lufthansa and Easyjet will be the first to land at BER on 31 October (BZ. Berlin)
- Qantas reports the second-highest loss in company history (Frankfurter Allgemeine)
- Test centers at Frankfurt Airport remain open (Reise vor 9)
- This was explained by the operators German Red Cross and Centogene. They were also commissioned by the state of Hesse to offer free tests for travel returnees arriving at Frankfurt Airport by plane from risk areas. Since its opening on July 30, 55,000 tests have been carried out at the DRC center, of which around one percent indicated infection with the Covid 19 virus.
Current surveys related to Tourism
- Mastercard study shows “first signs of recovery, study by Mastercard (https://www.reisevor9.de/inside/mastercard-studie-sieht-erste-anzeichen-der-erholung)
- The credit card company’s analysis of travel spending in the G20 countries shows that tourism is recovering fastest in Italy, Russia and France. Austria follows in fourth place and Germany is in fifth place.
- The global economy is showing first signs of recovery and emerging trends, which are also reflected in the development of consumer spending
- Own region is preferred
- consumers rely on local means of transport when travelling
- While the share of car rentals still accounted for nine percent of total transportation expenditures in 2019, the share rose to 17 percent in the second quarter of this year
- In Germany and Switzerland, travel without an aircraft accounted for about three quarters of the travel expenditure in the first week of August this year.
- Smaller hotels are on the rise
- According to the study, travelers are increasingly opting for smaller boutique hotels. The global economic recovery rate of small individual hotels has recently exceeded that of large hotels by more than 50 percent.
- Business travel market still on the ground
- An analysis by the credit card company on the spending of private cards compared to business cards shows that spending on private air travel and rental cars is higher than spending on business trips and thus returns to normality much faster.